With two little ones that have food allergies, we opt to do a lot more baking (and cooking) in our home. However, food allergies or not, these sweet and yummy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Carrot Muffins are a perfect kid’s breakfast or snack. They store easily and although the chocolate chips add a sweet factor, I don’t feel as guilty feeding them to my kids since they are loaded with carrots and zucchini.
Let’s get straight to the recipe!
Prep Time: Just about 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (if you have an egg allergy, can replace with ½ cup unsweetened applesauce)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup milk (for dairy allergy, you can use soy, oat, or even almond if no nut allergy)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (we use Enjoy Life!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix egg, oil, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in zucchini, chocolate chips, and walnuts. Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let muffins cool on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes.
They are moist and easy to make. Enjoy!