Our 911 Moment

We’ve been laying low the past couple of days. I normally keep it pretty light on here (with the exception of talking about my brother’s passing to keep his memory alive), but I’m giving it all to you this Monday. Migs and I had the scariest day of our entire lives heading into the weekend. It was a tough thing and shook me badly. Writing and sharing this helps me process the magnitude of emotions we went through in the last 72 hours.

The day started off normal. After the kids had their early afternoon nap, we decided to go for a car ride to get them a fish tank in preparation for their first fish! Once we picked that up, we were going to make one more stop — the Halloween store to check out costumes for the kids!

While in the car for a few minutes, London was crying. It wasn’t out of the ordinary, especially since she hasn’t been in the car a lot during the entire pandemic. Suddenly she made a couple of weird noises I had never heard. Migs said he thought she was laughing, but to be fair he was also concentrating on driving.  I turned around to look at her reflection in the baby mirror.

My instincts told me something didn’t sound right.  Her eyes were open and gazing upwards, so I told him to pull over.

I went to check her and she was indeed making weird noises. One look at her and my stomach sank, my heart dropped, and I knew it was something bad. Total panic set in. I don’t even know how I was able to unbuckle her safety harness, but as I took her out I realized she was unresponsive. I immediately noticed saliva at her mouth. I initially thought she could be choking, but thankfully her lips and face weren’t blue. Actually, she was breathing but had clenched fists and open eyes. I screamed, “Something’s wrong!” to Migs over in the driver seat as I turned her over, putting her chest and belly down in the palm of my hand. I could tell she wasn’t tracking objects. I couldn’t get her to look at me and follow my eyes. She was in a gaze with her eyes wide open, unconscious-like.

Migs ran out of the car. I handed London to him and got my phone to call 911. We were on the side of the road, but thank God my amazing husband is quick thinking in a situation like this because he realized we were pretty much across the street from a hospital. Well, it was more of a U-turn and 2 blocks down situation, but every second counts in a moment like this. He was able to be rational and helpful at a time where it was hard for me to be, even when I knew he was just as concerned.

He looked at me as I was dialing for the paramedics and said, “Let’s drive there! Get back in!!” He handed her back to me as I jumped in the car and he sped off. I was telling 911 my location though, just in case.

So there we were, 5 minutes had passed, phone to my ear, and London in my arms like a rag doll. She was unresponsive and limp.  My heart broke not being to help her. Watching my 8-month-old baby unresponsive minute after minute is torture and the worst I’ve experienced.

We pulled up to the hospital, and as I quickly handed her to Migs she looked as if she was coming around for a split second. She looked so confused.

He ran in there quickly while I stayed with Nico. I also had another job to do, and that was to take my 3-year-old out of the car safely, keep him calm, get a mask on him (dang COVID!), and explain as best I could what was going on without crying (me, not him!).

The Outcome

An hour or more flew by of examination and chatting with the doctor. This photo above was taken while the doctor stepped out for a minute.  He said London’s vitals looked normal. She did have a slight fever of 100°F that went away almost as soon as it showed up.

He believed she had a febrile seizure. A febrile seizure is caused by a sudden spike in body temperature. They occur in babies or young children with normal development without a history of neurologic symptoms. We’ve been told it is actually common. No damage done to her brain, thank God. It also doesn’t mean she has epilepsy. It’s actually “harmless.” 😧  After this entire incident, I look back and realize I’ve actually heard of febrile seizures in the past. I came across the term when Nico had his first fever. However, while in the urgency of this all, I was scared I was going to lose my child. I don’t have a medical background, and even then there was no way to tell what type of seizure was occurring because she never showed signs of a fever in the first place.

The doctor said if there was another episode within 24 hours then more tests would be warranted. Since London didn’t seem to have an ear infection, any lung issues, etc., he said there were a few other possibilities that could’ve caused the rise in temperature: a viral infection, a urinary tract infection, or even COVID-19! We still don’t have the exact answers, but she seems perfectly fine so we now suspect the fever was caused by teething!

She is back to her normal, playful self. She made it through the first 24 hours without another seizure which was important. It is Day 4 and so far she is still doing well!

There are terrifying moments we go through as parents, and unfortunately, this one is ingrained in my brain forever. Sitting in the front seat holding my baby’s lifeless body was heart-wrenching.

I don’t think I slept a wink that night and probably won’t for a while so I can be on a careful watch. There are many things we want in this life, but the only thing I really need is for my family to be safe, healthy, and happy.  That is what is important to me. After such a dramatic incident, I am so thankful that it wasn’t anything more serious. My heart goes out to the parents who have a child in and out of a hospital.

We hear this a lot but hug and kiss your kids. Hug them tight. Migs will joke and say I’ve never had a problem doing either of those things. 😝 Soak in all the moments and the love you can get and give as much as you can. In our last days, all we will care about are those people we love most. Nothing else matters.

Being a mother is challenging and hard, but it is also the most rewarding and the most beautiful gift I’ve been given in my life. I will never take the responsibility of caring for my children lightly.

Have you ever found yourself in a situation like this with your little one? Please share below if you feel comfortable doing so!

19 Comments

1. October 5, 2020 / 11:56 PM

Wow, I can’t imagine going through that. Glad that she is okay. I am not a parent yet, but have family and friends who have gone through similar types of situations. Scary indeed.

2. October 6, 2020 / 12:09 AM

The bad news is that your kids will give you scares like that even when they are full adults. The good news is that feeling of unconditional love, boundless joy, complete fulfillment and unlimited delight will never end too. I am sorry you went through that and thank God that it wasn’t serious. I am also thankful that you and migs, in a crisis, work together like hand in glove. Your children are blessed to have you. Will pray with you that London continues to be healthy and there are no repeats of this incident. You are a good mom stacey . Migs you are a rock! Love you guys

3. October 6, 2020 / 1:14 AM

I am so glad she’s ok. That must’ve been terrifying. It’s amazing how we just know and can jump into action so quickly.

4. Gel
    October 6, 2020 / 5:02 AM

That sounds like it was a really tense and worrisome situation. I’m glad you all made it through alright. Sending lots of love to you and the little ones!

5. Hayley
    October 6, 2020 / 5:37 AM

Oh Stacy, I’m so sorry! Yes, I had a moment like that when Avy was learning to walk! She was stumbling along a sidewalk, barely fell, didn’t hit her head or anything, but went completely limp and unresponsive. I grabbed her and ran inside the nearest store and yelled to the cashier to please call 911. Just as she was, Avy gasped and came to again. I called her pediatrician immediately and she said it sounded like she had just fainted and to watch for any other unusual behaviors. Nothing strange happened after that, but it definitely freaked me out and had me panicking for days! My kids have never had one, but yes, febrile seizures are very common. Doesn’t make them less scary, but I do have a niece and many friend’s kids who have had them. Praying she’s just fine and those little teeth come in quick 😂❤️🥰

6. October 6, 2020 / 8:18 AM

I’m so happy she is fine now. I’m sure it was a terrifing experience. Being a mother is not always easy but we need to keep up the good vibes and positivity in any situation.

7. October 6, 2020 / 10:37 AM

Oh my what a terrifying experience, I’ve never heard of a seizure like this. Well done to you and your husband for acting so efficiently. I hope you don’t have any more to deal with.

8. October 6, 2020 / 10:40 AM

Oh no, I have never been in such a situation. And I wouldn’t wish it upon anyone. I am sorry you went through this.

9. October 6, 2020 / 1:08 PM

I’m glad she is OK now. You did right thing. Being a parents with a little kid is not easy.

10. October 6, 2020 / 1:46 PM

My heart was thumping as you are recounting that moment. I too would have been petrified! It’s good that both of you were able to take action right away. So glad to see she is in the clear.

11. October 6, 2020 / 2:07 PM

I’m sorry this was happening to you. But I’m glad she is OK now. I’m agreed that being a mother is hard and tough. I hope you don’t have any more to deal like this.

12. October 6, 2020 / 3:28 PM

Wow, this must have been an incredibly frightening experience for you. I don’t know what I myself would have done in a similar situation!

13. October 6, 2020 / 7:46 PM

I’m so glad she’s ok. That’s a really frightening experience for every parent. Thanks for sharing. I think this is a helpful reminder for parents to always have their eyes to their kids.

14. Hayley
    October 6, 2020 / 8:01 PM

Wow, what a traumatic experience! I hope she makes a full recovery x

15. October 7, 2020 / 6:15 AM

It was so bad to go through a situation like that. And happy to see things gone ok.
    Wish your daughter recovers well and grows up strongly. All the best!

16. October 7, 2020 / 9:13 AM

Wow, what a tough situation. I am happy she is now recovering. Sending my love x

17. October 7, 2020 / 11:27 AM

I’ve never heard of a seizure like this but I’m happy she is okay right now I wish your daughter will fast recovery and you did a great part as parent!

18. Marie Phillips
    October 7, 2020 / 4:48 PM

The scariest times are when we realize we have no control over the situation. My faith helps to get me through. I’m glad that all ended well with your family and hope you can rest easy soon!

19. October 8, 2020 / 5:57 AM

I’m glad she is fine. It must have been difficult. I emphatize with the situation. Take care!